DAT.MOBILITY - OMNITRANS NEXT

For Traffic Data Company Dat.Mobility, I worked on the (re)design of a well-known desktop application called Omnitrans. This application is widely used for over 20 years, despite the fact it was still a desktop application. The team and my job was to turn it into a user-friendly and easy-to-use web application. 

2018-2019

Dat.Mobility (a Goudappel Company)

Deventer, The Netherlands

(Re)Design

Web application

Concepting

Wireframing

UI Design

Adobe XD

HTML
CSS

Javascript
Angular 4

FROM

 
omnitrans8.PNG

BEFORE

Before the transition to web started, Omnitrans was only a desktop-based application. Although the application was still a great tool for lots of companies and governance organisations, due to hundreds of updates through the years the application was not that user-friendly anymore. It was not future proof. 

amelie-mourichon-YHNOwnrDzjY-unsplash.jpg

CONCEPTING & SKETCHING

Due to the fact that a lot of research had already be done before I came in, I dived straight into the concepting phase. I used this phase to get feedback faster, before getting into the more complex phases. I planned quite a lot interviews and meetings with mostly the consultants (end users), so that they could give me important insights about usage and what they expect. I also let them sketch things, which they really liked. 

There was a lot of information to spit through. The fun thing here was that they saw the importance of and change to mobile usage while I discussed my first concepts with them. At first, they did not see this. It was not mobile-first, but it should be at least responsive. 

alvaro-reyes-qWwpHwip31M-unsplash.jpg

WIREFRAMES & PROTOTYPING

While sketching and creating some basic views, I found out that thinking mobile-first made it easier to make choices between functionalities that were important and less important. Still, the application was not mobile-first, but this way of thinking created a clean and relatively simple application. From here, we could start with adding features again for desktop and tablet use. In this phase, I created a clickable prototype (no visual design yet) where at first our development team could click through and later on the consultants got their moments to play with it and give feedback. 

nieuwtablet2.jpg

VISUAL DESIGN

After a lot of sessions with our development team, the consultants and some meetings with the board, they gave a 'go' to the prototype and I started with the visual design. Ofcourse, I already had some ideas about this. The company already had a recently created corporate identity and this was a great starting point for the visual design. 

Due to the complexity, it was important to keep things 'simple'. Using the Material Design framework boosted both the design as well as the development process in terms of speed. For me, it was the first time using this framework and it was great! 

TO